Quantcast The Chronicles of von Klapp: Joe Zaso: The Reigning King of Independent Horror Films

Friday, February 15, 2008

Joe Zaso: The Reigning King of Independent Horror Films






















Actor and filmmaker Joe Zaso founded Cinema Image Productions when he was a teenager and has evolved into one of the leading voices of independent horror films. Whether he’s producing a giallo (an Italian genre of thriller films) or acting in a gorefest, Joe Zaso’s work is always striking. We interviewed Joe last week about his career, the trials and tribulations of independent filmmaking, and the sad state of mainstream horror films.

I've read that you formed your own production company at the age of 16. How did that come about?

JOE ZASO: I always loved the idea of making films (and doing plays) and what was
a hobby has gradually blossomed into a business. When I was 16, I made a video feature called "MALIGNO" (sort of a cross between an ABC Afterschool Special and a "giallo") which won a Long Island Film Festival award - and which inspired me to continue. I also love acting and when I had graduated college, I discovered that finding roles in film and TV was very difficult, so I applied my film making abilities with my colleagues from school and my love of acting. Flash forward 16
years later, and we're still making movies. :)



Do you prefer to be "Joe Zaso the Actor" or "Joe Zaso the Producer"?

JOE ZASO: I have no preference, just remember the name :) Producing is a job I
think I do very well, but acting is something that I find more fascinating as it more of a process than a job.



Your films are reminiscent of Italian horror films of the 70's. Do you have a favorite film from that genre that has inspired your work?

JOE ZASO: So so many, but the ones I have always loved are: SUSPIRIA, DEEP RED, THE PERFUME OF THE LADY IN BLACK, PHENOMENA, DEMONS. Pretty much any of the Argento stuff has inspired me.



Of all the films you've been in, which is your favorite and why?

JOE ZASO: My favorite experience on a film was 5 DEAD ON THE CRIMSON CANVAS because it was hard work and painful in many ways, but rewarding and
sweet since it was my first professional indie film. It continues to live on which makes me happy.



Independent filmmakers are the heart and soul of the film industry. What do you find most rewarding and most frustrating about being an independent film producer?

JOE ZASO: Rewarding in that we as film makers can make most of the choices
(creatively and professionally), but frustrating in that we never seem to be able to raise strong funding - and finding paying distributors is even harder.


A lot of movie fans aren't happy with the quality of mainstream, big-budget films that are coming out of Hollywood. What do you feel they are lacking as opposed to independent horror films?

JOE ZASO: Studios and producers refuse to take chances, they sugar-coat everything, they are afraid of unhappy endings, they are insistent in being politically correct. It's partially the fault of the studios and partially the fault of the uneducated target audience of most of these films.


Nude scenes: "Good times" or "Good grief"?

JOE ZASO: Never good grief. Always good times.



Tell us about your experience as a Jersey Devil.

JOE ZASO: My friends Brian Spears and Peter Gerner of G&S Effects (who worked with me when I acted in THE ADVENTURES OF YOUNG VAN HELSING) were hired to work on a special promo piece for the New Jersey Devils. Since they like working with me, I got a call - and spent a few days in Newark being painted red and wearing only a postage stamp of a costume. Nice experience - and something that will probably be seen more than any of my films!


Your films scare people. What scares you?

JOE ZASO: Real life. Worrying about the future. Typical things, but I believe
these things are scarier than what any book or movie can conjure up.


Please tell our readers about some of your upcoming projects.

JOE ZASO: My latest film being released now is DARKNESS SURROUNDS ROBERTA (a giallo shot in Italy for director Giovanni Pianigiani). I will be traveling to Germany at the end of March to produce and act in Timo Rose's BEAST (a new werewolf movie) and in late August I will be traveling to Liverpool to produce and act in a sci-fi thriller called BRAINCELL (for directors Alex Birell and Iacopo Di Girolamo).



Check out the Cinema Image Productions website here.

Buy Joe’s DVDs here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin says he's HOT

Anonymous said...

Barricade was good. Nice skinny dipping scene!